- Who founded Habitat for Humanity? How do I become a Volunteer? How do I make a donation?
- Many of your questions can be answered on our FAQ page! Just go to the "About" tab above.
- Lakeland Habitat for Humanity is committed to the development of decent, affordable homes. We are committed to work with businesses, churches and needy families in Central Florida, Polk County area to ensure that the experience of long term home ownership is positive. Our family selection committee chooses homeowners based on their level of need, their willingness to become partners in the program and their ability to repay the loan.
- Habitat is not a giveaway program. In addition to a down payment and monthly mortgage payments, homeowners invest hundreds of hours of their own labor (sweat equity) into building their Habitat house and the houses of others. Habitat houses are sold to partner families at no profit and financed with affordable loans. The homeownersï¿½ monthly mortgage payments are used to build still more Habitat houses.
- Long-term affordability is a crucial value for Lakeland Habitat for Humanity. Green building and sustainable development practices are an opportunity to increase and maintain the success of the families we serve. With rising fuel and building supply costs, it is essential to build efficient homes that are cost effective to maintain.